This blog is intended to showcase the widely overlooked weirdness in Baltimore. At one point in time a friend mentioned that he wanted to publish a book entitled the Psychedelic Tour of Baltimore, this site is inspired by and dedicated to Uncle Lead. I often post others photos out of admiration. If I have posted one of your photos against your liking, please let me know and I will remove it as soon as I can. If you don't mind me posting them let me know and thank you for your amazing photos.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Magnolia Electric Co. and Grand Buffet

Grand BuffetLast night we went to see Magnolia Electric Co. at the Ottobar. We seem to be going there a lot lately. I was not that familiar with Magnolia, but we went there with neighbors. Magnolia put on a great show. They are a little more country than I typically listen to, but they stepped over to rock with most of their songs. They had a sound reminiscent of The Big Wu, a band I am more familiar with.
Touring with Magnolia Electric Co. was Grand Buffet from Pittsburgh. They are two white guys and a CD player named Curtis. They were more up my alley. They played the entirety of their back up music on Curtis, their CD player. They ripped off hip-hop the likes of I haven't seen since The Bloodhound Gang. The set even included a ten minute accapela when Curtis ran out of batteries. After the show, I picked up their CD - Five Years of Fireworks. A quick listen to it on the ride home got five thumbs up.
I think the highlight of the night was Magnolia's encore when from Grand Buffet came out and they performed a rousing rendition of Running With The Devil.
All in all a great night. Unfortunately I left the camera at home.
Listen Up:
Grand Buffet - Americus
Grand Buffet - Candy Bars
Magnolia Electric Co. - The Dark Don’t Hide It
Magnolia Electric Co. - Leave the City

On Winamp now: The Dandy Warhols - We Used To Be Friends
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

K8teebug said...

I was at that show. It was great. They're coming back to the Ottobar on February 25th! (Grand Buffet, that is)